Tuesday, October 28, 2008

5 Something

"Here i am, at your feet. In my brokeness, complete."

I have to admit that "THE ALYSSA RAE" was meant solely for the purpose of my photography and art. I also have to admit I'm no theologian, nor do i know any large or fancy words. But waking up at 5 something in the morning to my mother saying "Your uncle's having emergency surgery! Your father and I need to leave now, can you drop your sister off?...and Alyssa, please pray for him", has brought me to my knees, and there is no way i can just fall back asleep now. It's about 7 am, and i shall blog about it.

Last night i get an email saying someone has passed away. She was a young woman, and was simply driving home when it happened. This morning my uncle who has been in and out of the hospital since i can remember is back in but this time its worst than it's ever been. Usually when my mom comes in at 5 something in the morning and tells me something, my initial reaction is to ignore it, stay half awake and respond like I'm listening, "Yeah, yeah, uh huh, whatever.", and then I'm back asleep forgetting everything she said. This time, my sinful-selfish-half-awake-self wanted to respond like that, but it didn't happen, i awoke and was attentive to what she was telling me. This time my initial reaction was to pray. Pray for my Uncle's salvation, pray that these family members would find comfort in Christ, pray for the world's salvation, pray that God would give me the strength and use me to do His work! I have to admit, maybe i was a little bit sleepy when i was praying, but oh i was re-woken up again to the sound of the loud train's horn blowing rapidly 7 or 8 times, thinking "Huh, that's weird i never heard it sound that loud nor blow that many times. What if someone's in the way? Oh no! What if my parents are in the way? What if someone gets hurt?". Then the noise stopped and all i could do was pray...some more. I realized i don't pray as much as i should, nor do i share the gospel with others as much as i should. With people dying, or sick in the hospital, or caught even in a train wreck, you never know when your last breath is, but what we do know is that we're all in need of a Savior. The other night at TFC, a fellow servant shared to the students to not waste your life. Don't waste your youth, if you were saved at a young age, then praise God that he's using you at that age. Romans 1:6, we are not to be ashamed. We are called to do God's work and that includes sharing the gospel to ALL men. (Checking my pulse) Oh good, I'm still alive so that means God's not done using me. God has a purpose for me on this earth, because if i was useless and he didn't have any purpose for me, he'd probably take me by now. Paul stated in Acts,
"But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God."
Only by God's grace and mercy, am i given the strength to do the work of God. I have a sudden urge to serve. "Urge to Serve" that should be the title of something. I know this is completely opposite of what I'm talking about, but i think of that verse in James about how such a small flame can burn down a whole forest. But it's talking about how we can defile someone with our tongue and cause a fire. Well instead of using your tongue to defile someone, use it to spread the gospel! Make a use out of that, spreading the good news and worshipping Christ. That makes me think of that song..."These hands were made to praise you, these lips were made to lift you up. I give to you my life in worship." Now i don't know how to end these things, so i'll leave it at that.

2 comments:

Bessiedavid said...

What a great reminder that our life here on earth is only but a moment. Our days are numbered. Thanks for the encouragement. Let us know how your uncle is doing.

Anonymous said...

wow lyss this was a blessing and my auntie just passed God works in mysterious ways hehe
brian l